The Theater Operations department is responsible for the management of staff and customer service for all exhibition spaces. This includes determining staffing needs for a variety of venues and event presentation styles, as well as hiring, training and managing staff to execute these plans. The Theater Operations team prepares logistical operation of all festival venues, supervision and management of Venue, House, and Line Managers, management of volunteers, and coordination with venue management to ensure smooth operations flow. The Theater Operations Manager sets the tone for the customer experience, and is responsible for maintaining consistency and high standards in all exhibition-venue customer interactions. The Theater Operations Manager synthesizes information and constituent needs across all festival departments to make sure Venue Managers are empowered with the information necessary for a smooth experience.
This is a full-time, temporary position that runs from February 24, 2020, until May 1, 2020.
- Work with the Operations Manager and Operations Coordinator on the hiring of all Venue Managers.
- Schedule, train and manage all Venue Managers and Lead Volunteers.
- Manage Theater Operations budget lines, including staffing.
- Schedule all Theater Operations volunteers and work with Volunteer Manager on ensuring good volunteer coverage across venues.
- Update and maintain all theater operations guides & documents, including updating the Theater Operations Manual and training presentation.
- Work with the Production Manager on venue signage and equipment needs, load ins, and load outs.
- Work with the Special Events Manager & Onstage Events Manager to ensure smooth show and talent flow for all big nights.
- Work with the Box Office to develop customer service best practices for all aspects of ticket sales, seating, rush, and refund scenarios.
- Work with the Tech and Media Manager and Operations Manager to manage flow of technical and program information each day of the festival, including updating the Daily Grid.
- Work with the Special Events Manager & Production Manager to set-up and staff green rooms and onstage furniture movement.
- Work with the Operations Department to ensure all venue rules and policies are adhered to.
- Create and maintain venue resources and documents on Basecamp, including updating and uploading documents daily during the festival.
- Support Venue Managers onsite with all front of house duties, frequently visiting all venues during the festival.
- Manage order and deployment of Theater Operations specific supplies and equipment.
- Submit final payable hours for all Venue Managers.
- Create a written wrap-report and summary of all necessary timeline and budget info.
- Must have experience with film festival theater operations.
- Must be comfortable working in Excel.
- Superior customer service, communication and delegation skills.
- Experience hiring, managing and training staff; experience building large teams is a plus.
- Experience working within predetermined budgetary goals.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and deadlines across several Festival spaces while maintaining high quality of work.
- Ability to understand how Theater Operations fit into the big pictures goals of the entire festival.
- Excellent decision-making and creative problem-solving skills.
- Comfortable with the heavy lifting and labor inherent in loading in and out of festival sites.
- Comfort with Filemaker a plus.
- Comfort in Photoshop, Visio, PowerPoint/Keynote a plus.