The Youth Education Intern reports to the Education Program Coordinator. This internship includes four weeks of teaching/production assistance at the Young Filmmakers Camp and two weeks supporting the outreach and development of SFFILM Education’s curriculum development and program planning.
- Total 6-8 week commitment
- Mid-June start date
- Four weeks at our Young Filmmakers Camp beginning July 8, Monday-Friday from 9am-4pm ending August 2 (ideally 20-30 hours per week commitment with a regular schedule)
- Approximately two weeks before or two after the camp (flexible, 8 hours per week)
- Support camp instructors at all Young Filmmakers Camp sessions as a teaching and production assistant.
- Provide adult supervision and work directly with camp participants (ages 13–18), helping them to produce short film projects.
- Lead break-out groups throughout pre-production and production, and assist with post-production.
- Document all camp sessions through photos and videos for marketing.
- Assist the instructors with all camp logistics and with the preparation and inventory of materials and resources.
- Assist with loading in, loading out, and setup.
- Help prepare for camp and assist with getting evaluations and feedback.
- Collate and analyze evaluations and feedback to assist with outreach and marketing for SFFILM education programs.
- Modify and upload selected lesson plans, photos, video clips, and final camp films to FilmEd website as needed.
- Work on other SFFILM education projects as needed.
- Strong desire to work with teens in a classroom setting.
- Experience with basic film production, including demonstrated proficiency with digital video cameras and editing software such as Final Cut Pro.
- Experience working with media on the web.
- Good research skills.
- Able to work independently on own initiative and also happy to take direction as part of a team in support of the instructor, assistant, and SFFILM staff.
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Professional demeanor combined with an ability to have fun with kids.
- Previous classroom or teaching experience is preferred but not mandatory.
- Passion for both film and teaching.
- Reliable transportation and availability for on-location camp work from July 8 in Pacific Heights and other weeks at SFFILM offices in the Presidio on TBD days.