The Education Department is seeking a motivated intern with an interest in education and filmmaking experience to support our year round education programming, especially our Filmmakers in the Classroom (FITC) program.
Education Interns will assist FITC online as teaching assistant, support our online Fall Family Programming, help the department with outreach and data collection, and provide additional support to the Education Department as needed.
The Education Intern reports to the Education Program Coordinator, Maddy Leonard.
Due to Covid-19, SFFILM has moved to the virtual space and all internships will be completely remote. Our ideal candidate is comfortable in Zoom and other virtual communication systems. The deadline for intern applications is Thursday, September 10th.
- Attend most scheduled FITC sessions (1-2 hours per session).
- Support a filmmaker instructor as a FITC teaching and production assistant.
- Work directly with students (ages will vary from 4th through 12th grade) to help them produce film projects and learn about media literacy.
- Document and collect data on our programming when needed.
- Assist the filmmaker instructor in preparing lesson plans, materials, and resources for FITC sessions.
- Assist the filmmaker instructor with editing of FITC projects.
- Research children’s and family films for Schools at the Festival and other Education Program screenings.
- Assist with school and educator outreach.
- Provide event support for online Screenings for Schools and Family Programming.
- Provide additional program support to Education Department as needed.
- Strong desire to work with children and/or teens in an online setting.
- Experience with basic film production and film theory.
- Previous classroom or teaching experience is a plus!
- Passionfor both film and education/teaching.
- Experience working with media on the web.
- Great research and communication skills.
- Availability for morning/afternoon weekday FITC sessions, as well as other scheduled weekday hours.
- Ability to take direction and work independently, as well as work as a team to support the Education Program Coordinator, Filmmaking Instructor, and the Classroom Teacher.
- Professional demeanor combined with an ability to have fun with kids.