Artist Development is SFFILM’s full-service filmmaker support department in the areas of residencies, grants, fellowships, project development, events, and consultation with hundreds of projects on its books in all stages of production. Through FilmHouse, not only are free residencies provided to filmmakers, the department hosts multiple professional development workshops, talks, and events each month. Through the grants program, Artist Development awards filmmakers nearly $1 million per year for exceptional and innovative narrative and documentary feature projects.
The Artist Development intern will learn how a large arts organization supports individual filmmakers by assisting with the day-to-day operations of the department. Tasks will include support with: FilmHouse events, grants administration, project research, data entry, and other duties as assigned.
- Provide administrative support to the department (maintain filmmaker files, conduct reports, analyze data, compile statistics).
- Participate in Internal Review Committees.
- Assist with event planning and execution such as receptions, workshops and meetings with filmmakers.
- Compile information for grant review panels.
- Take notes during grant review panels (this is a great learning experience to see how grants are awarded).
- Assist with the department’s social media presence.
- Event support for FilmHouse talks, workshops, etc.
- Support Artist Development Coordinator in other tasks as assigned.
- Ability to take instruction and also take initiative and work with minimal supervision.
- Research and data entry skills.
- Excellent customer service manner and professional demeanor.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (especially Excel and Word).
- Passion for film and a good sense of humor.
- Good writing and telephone skills essential.
- Knowledge of a second language is a plus.
- Minimum commitment of 8 hours per week (preferably over two days) for at least 3 months.
- Organizational skills.
- Physically able to lift chairs and move tables (up to 50 lbs.)
- Comfortable helping coordinate and staff events.
- Willingness to present well and interact with high level donors, if necessary.
- Some schedule flexibility is appreciated, but not required.
- Desire to learn about Artist Development programs and SFFILM as an organization.