The Communications team at SFFILM is seeking a dependable, detail-oriented, and web-savvy individual to provide promotional support for its upcoming public programs, including the 2021 San Francisco International Film Festival. This is an excellent opportunity to gain marketing experience at a nonprofit arts organization and top-tier film festival, providing well-rounded exposure to the production of print and digital publications and social media as well as the communications strategies behind the organization’s events outreach. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who approaches a variety of communications tasks with a positive attitude and follow-through.
This is an unpaid fully remote internship from January 25 – April 16, 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis through Friday January 8.
- Provide direct administrative support to the Communications Coordinator, Project Manager, and Director of Marketing.
- Aggregate and organize marketing assets for Festival and institutional programs (i.e., social media links to coverage of participating films).
- Assist with the content management of select social media channels, especially the organization’s Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Vimeo accounts as well as the SFFILM blog (Medium).
- Perform data entry (FileMaker Pro), edit and format copy for the Festival website and program guide.
- Edit images for web and print, working in Photoshop.
- Conduct research and initiate contact with new community partners and potential distribution hubs.
- Help to coordinate collateral distribution at Festival venues.
- Provide production assistance and customer service at SFFILM events.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Extremely detail-oriented.
- Ability to take both instruction and initiative while working with minimal supervision.
- Superior communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Proficiency in FileMaker Pro, Photoshop, Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel), Google apps.
- Familiarity with HTML or proficient web publishing skills desired but not required. CMS is WordPress.
- Experience with social media platforms an asset.
- Professional and friendly demeanor. Interns represent SFFILM when speaking with customers and community members.
- Demonstrated interest in contemporary film or arts & culture.
- Minimum commitment of 8–12 hours per week (two or three days a week) and availability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Familiarity with San Francisco Bay Area geography a plus.
- Fluency in English required.
SFFILM is deeply committed to Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and Inclusion (DEAI) in both its internal management and external programming. Since 2018, the organization has actively been working in collaboration with two Advisory Boards focused on accessibility and inclusivity and officially began work with a DEI consultant in 2019 to further invest in and build on that work. Candidates are invited to discuss their interest and involvement in DEAI practices in their cover letter, and ask us more about our DEAI process in their interview.
SFFILM, in accordance with federal and state law, is an equal-opportunity employer. SFFILM does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy/childbirth, medical condition, disability, age, ancestry, marital status, citizenship or veteran status. This nondiscrimination policy covers all candidates, staff members, interns, and volunteers.