The Communications team at SFFILM is seeking a dependable, detail-oriented, and web-savvy individual to provide promotional support for its upcoming public programs, including the 2020 San Francisco International Film Festival. This is an excellent opportunity to gain marketing experience at a nonprofit arts organization and top-tier film festival, providing well-rounded exposure to the production of print and digital publications and social media as well as the communications strategies behind the organization’s events outreach. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who approaches a variety of communications tasks with a positive attitude and follow-through.
This position will require some evening/weekend availability and increased hours during the SFFILM Festival (April 8–21, 2020). Spring internships run from early February to May 2020. Deadline to apply is January 15, 2020.
- Provide direct administrative support to the Communications Coordinator, Digital Strategy Manager, and Director of Marketing.
- Aggregate and organize marketing assets for Festival and institutional programs (i.e., social media links to coverage of participating films).
- Assist with the content management of select social media channels, especially the organization’s Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Vimeo accounts as well as the SFFILM blog (Medium).
- Perform data entry (FileMaker Pro), edit and format copy for the Festival website and program guide.
- Edit images for web and print, working in Photoshop.
- Conduct research and initiate contact with new community partners and potential distribution hubs.
- Help to coordinate collateral distribution at Festival venues.
- Provide production assistance and customer service at SFFILM events.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Extremely detail-oriented.
- Ability to take both instruction and initiative while working with minimal supervision.
- Superior communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Great phone manner. Cold calling experience a plus.
- Proficiency in FileMaker Pro, Photoshop, Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel), Google apps.
- Familiarity with HTML or proficient web publishing skills desired but not required. CMS is WordPress.
- Experience with social media platforms an asset.
- Professional and friendly demeanor. Interns represent SFFILM when speaking with customers and community members.
- Demonstrated interest in contemporary film or arts & culture.
- Minimum commitment of 8–12 hours per week (two or three days a week) and availability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Familiarity with San Francisco Bay Area geography a plus.
- Fluency in English required.