The Festival Publicist is responsible for working with local and national media outlets to publicize the 63rd San Francisco International Film Festival (April 8–21, 2020).
This is a full-time, temporary position that runs from February 17 – April 24, 2020.
- Researching and updating contact information for journalists in database.
- Working with assigned media contacts (80+) to generate preview coverage and set up advance interviews.
- Becoming familiar with festival program and developing niche pitches.
- Writing press releases, pitches, and media alerts.
- Working press screenings.
- Actively pitching stories to national and local contacts ahead of and during the festival.
- Actively pitching stories to attending journalists, and facilitating interviews with festival spokespersons and filmmakers.
- Covering festival Press Office, providing information and materials to accredited journalists as requested.
- Working red carpets, screenings, and events to facilitate press access and maximize coverage opportunities.
- Keeping detailed notes on each assigned journalist in database for future reference.
- Tracking coverage and assisting with clippings processing.
- Writing a detailed wrap report.
- At least two years of experience in film publicity; experience in a festival environment a plus, Bay Area contacts a plus.
- Superior communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Proven ability to multitask effectively and manage a large group of active contacts with time-sensitive needs.
- Ability to pitch a film you haven’t seen.
- Extreme attention to detail.
- Experience with database systems.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Passion for cinema a plus.