Artist Development is SFFILM’s full-service filmmaker support department in the areas of residencies, grants, fellowships, project development, events, and consultation with hundreds of projects on its books in all stages of production. Through FilmHouse, not only are free residencies provided to filmmakers, the department hosts multiple professional development workshops, talks, and events each month. Through the grants program, Artist Development awards filmmakers nearly $1 million per year for exceptional and innovative narrative and documentary feature projects.
The FilmHouse Venue Manager will be in charge of Artist Development’s year-round residency space, FilmHouse, for all events during the festival. This position will oversee event prep, room setup, run of show, and breakdown for one to two events per day at FilmHouse during 10 festival days. The Venue Manager will report directly to Artist Development staff.
This is a full-time, temporary role from April 6 – April 21, 2020.
- Manage FilmHouse as a venue for all Festival related panels, workshops, meetings and events.
- Work with Artist Development staff to assist with any items that need to be moved, cleaned, organized, etc. at FilmHouse before, during, and after the Festival.
- Coordinate with Festival Production Manager to request and return any production items.
- Set up and break down FilmHouse every day of programming during the festival including seating configurations, setting out coffee/beverages and food spreads, cleaning up, taking out trash and recycling.
- Work with FilmHouse Event Manager and guest speakers to ensure all events needs are met.
- Operate all tech needs through the FilmHouse PA system (mics, etc.).
- Coordinate with Tech Manager for additional tech needs (e.g. lav mics).
- PA work, able to lift at least 40 lbs.
- Confirm and work with volunteers to make sure they have what they need (additional supplies, getting more alcohol from storage, etc.).
- Run quick errands to get any miscellaneous items (no car needed). Collect and submit all receipts to Artist Development staff.
- Receive deliveries for SFFILM at FilmHouse (food, sponsor items, etc.) and keep track of all supply inventory.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Flexible schedule required.
- 2+ years operations experience.
- Strong organizational and coordination skills.
- Ability to quickly problem solve in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with directing and managing others.
- Comfort and ability to run tech for venue.
- Excellent customer service manner and professional demeanor.
- Ability to lift chairs and move tables (up to 50 lbs).
- Positive attitude.
- Festival operations background preferred.