Please note that the Djerassi Fellowship is by invitation only and is awarded to one filmmaker each year.
The SFFILM Djerassi Fellowship provides a one-month fellowship for an emerging or established screenwriter.
Located in a spectacular setting in the Santa Cruz Mountains, 40 miles south of San Francisco, the program provides artists with uninterrupted time for work, reflection and collegial interaction in a professionally supportive and inspirational environment. The SFFILM Djerassi Fellowship is supported by a gift from SFFILM Board Member Dale Djerassi.
Open to both U.S. and international screenwriters, the SFFILM Djerassi Fellowship offers living and studio accommodations and meals. Residents work and are housed in three buildings on the Djerassi ranch according to artistic discipline and creative project. Living quarters and studio space consist of a four-bedroom house and a unique, remodeled twelve-sided barn. The Middlebrook Studios, new spaces for writers, are also available. The residency does not include travel and writing supplies.
The Djerassi Fellowship is by invitation only.
- Screenwriter / Project Criteria
- Fellow must be at least 18 years old.
- Fellow may be either an emerging or mid-career artist, for whom appointments as fellow may make a significant difference to their careers, or an established artist with a national and/or international reputation.
- Priority will be given to projects that are vibrant, intelligent, moving, and innovative.
- Filmmaker may not be an SFFILM or Djerassi Fellowship employee or member of any SFFILM or Djerassi Board.
- Filmmaker may not be a full-time student.
- Project is not work for hire.
- Script must not have been optioned, purchased, in production, or produced.
- Adaptations of any work (other than his or her own) are not eligible.
- Scripts by more than one writer are not eligible.
- Please note that the Djerassi Fellowship is by invitation only and is awarded to one filmmaker each year. The recipient will be selected from the pool of applicants for SFFILM’s other narrative grants and fellowships including Rainin, Westridge, and Sloan.
Ongoing Responsibilities of Grantees
Grant recipients will be required to submit a progress report and a new work sample six months from the date of the grant award.
SFFILM Djerassi Screenwriting Fellow winners are asked to help us in our marketing efforts by filling out a questionnaire and providing links to trailers and/or reviews.